Wednesday, September 17, 2008

College Essay

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA): What led you to choose the area(s) of academic interest that you have listed in your application to the University of Michigan? If you are undecided, what areas are you most interested in, and why?

When I was eight years old, someone asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up; I replied that I wanted to help people. At the age of 15, I realized that my favorite thing to do on summer afternoons was watch shows and read articles about forensic scientists and investigators solving perplexing crimes, so I began to seriously consider a career in forensics. Filled with a great sense of satisfaction when the family of a murder victim would finally see justive served for their loved one, I saw that I could help people through forensic work. I was also fascinated by the processes of such work and could see myself reaching my greatest potential with a job in which I could do those things every day. Recently, I’ve also developed interests in the workings of law and psychology, and I was excited to discover that I could bring together these passions as well as my desire to work in forensics by majoring in Sociology with a concentration in Law, Criminology, and Deviance at the University of Michigan. Even better was the fact that my most desired minor would be beneficial to this particular major. By persuing a major in Sociology, I will be working towards having the career which I believe will fulfill me. With the multi-faceted education of a Sociology major, I will also have options should I decide in the future that a different career is better for me. I feel very fortunate that my deepest interests will help me to realize my longtime goal of helping people as best I can; I will be able to do the work I love, and love its results.

No comments: